Have you recently put money into your furnace for repairs? Are you wondering when the right time is to take the plunge and buy a new one?
When does it make sense to stop sinking money into an old system and upgrade?
Furnaces are similar to old cars – we love to hang onto them as long as we possibly can. However, is that always the best solution?
Here are a few signs that it is time to buy a new furnace:
1. Your repair bills keep going up and up. If you continually need to put money into your furnace each and every winter, you may want to consider getting a new one. This is especially true if you need emergency services a few times a year. These costs can quickly add up and make an impact on your wallet.
2. You have high energy bills. An inefficient furnace can really increase your energy bill. If your furnace is serviced every year, and the electric bill continues to rise during the winter, you may want to consider trading in your old system for something new.
3. You hear strange noises coming from the furnace. If you hear a strange banging or rattling sound coming from your system, there might be something going on with your furnace. The best solution for this is to call PBCI-ALLEN and have one of our trained technicians come and troubleshoot the issue.
4. Not holding temperature. If you continue to crank up the heat and still can’t get warm in your home, it’s time to crunch some numbers. Whether you are using gas, oil or electric, the more you increase the thermostat to get warm, the more energy you are using. It may be time to upgrade.
5. You and your family are feeling ill. When furnaces age, there is a greater chance for carbon monoxide leaks. This often occurs from cracks and wear and tear on the equipment. First and foremost, be sure to have carbon monoxide detectors in your home, especially if your furnace is old. Second, if you think you might have a leak, contact us right away to replace your system.
6. Finally, the age of your furnace. If a furnace is well maintained, it should last around 16 years, maybe even 20. However, if your system is older than that and you are having issues, it may be time to part ways.