When cutting down on energy costs many households forget about simple things they can do with their lighting. One of the fastest ways to reduce your energy bill is to switch to energy-efficient lighting. And to save even more – add some timers or motion sensors to reduce the amount of time your lights are on.
Check these tips out out …
Indoor Lighting Tips
- Find the right bulbs for your fixtures by visiting ENERGY STAR. They are available in sizes and shapes to fit almost any fixture and provide the greatest savings for lights that are on for a long time each day.
- Look for recessed light fixtures or “cans” when remodeling. These fixtures are rated for contact with insulation and are air tight.
- Find ENERGY STAR-qualified fixtures for your remodel. They distribute light more efficiently and evenly than standard fixtures, and some offer convenient features such as dimming.
- Add controls such as timers and photocells to save electricity by turning lights off when not in use. Dimmers save electricity when used to lower light levels. Make sure to select products that are compatible with the energy-efficient bulbs you want to use.
Outdoor Lighting Tips
- Save a lot of energy by using CFLs or LEDs in your outdoor light fixtures. Outdoor lights are usually on for a long period of time. By using efficient bulbs, you will save more money. Most bare spiral CFLs can be used in enclosed fixtures that protect them from the weather.
- Find CFLs and LEDs that can be used as flood lights. These models have been tested to withstand the rain and snow so they can be used in exposed fixtures.
- Look for ENERGY STAR-qualified fixtures that are designed for outdoor use and come with features like automatic daylight shut-off and motion sensors.
These simple tips are easy to use and can save you money each year on your energy costs.
If you are looking to add new light fixtures or are in the middle of a remodel, PBCI-Allen can help. We offer both commercial and home electrical services.